If there is one thing that can be counted on from Blizzard is that when they say something, they really mean it. Such is the case today as Blizzard has announced that StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty will be releasing July 27th 2010. Yes, it’s really happening people.
The standard addition to Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty will retail for $59.99, while the collector’s edition has been priced at $99.99. The collector’s edition will come with the following features:
- The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
- A 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor’s dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion set
- A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director’s commentary, and more
- The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD,
- StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
- A World of Warcraft mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
- Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit
“Wings of Liberty” is the first in the Starcraft 2 trilogy that focuses on the Terran campaign. While we have a release date for Wings of Liberty, there is still no indication as to when “Heart of the Swarm”, which centers around the Zerg Campaign, or the Protoss focused title “Legacy of the Void” will release. My fair guess is not anytime soon, though I doubt it won’t be any longer than a year seeing as Blizzard has already laid down the ground work with Wings of Liberty. Of course, Blizzard has the final say.